Sunday, May 18, 2008

First Rugby Match, First Night in Our House




(Lynn)


Good Sunday afternoon. We just attended our first church service in New Zealand and were very refreshed to be back in fellowship after many weeks on our own. The verse for the day is from Thessalonians-"God did not give us a spirit of fear- but a spirit of power, love and self control." As the husband/dad in a family of 6 moving to the other side of the world there are plenty of things to fear- so I find great encouragement in these words. Please pray for our new friends, our patients, and our family. May God bless us all.
Phillip's first rugby match was a smashing success! Literally. His nose got smashed and gushed blood near the end of the first half. As usual, Phillip threw his body full-tilt into the sport and received the "merit" award from his coach and an ovation from his teammates. His club, Manaia, lost a close one (7-5) in a defensive struggle with one of the best clubs around, Hora Hora. He's psyched about the rest of the season. He described the first experience as football without any breaks (and without a facemask!) He was fairly relaxed the rest of the day. He was amazed by the seagulls flying around their heads as they played.

We also spent the night last night in what we hope will be our home for the year. We'll post our new phone number and address once we're sure what they are. The pics above show the view from our porch. The house overlooks McCleod's Bay- the Pacific Ocean is about 5-10 miles to the left. I saw a pod of dolphins in the bay the other dayand Phillip and I saw a large sting ray swimming along. Look closely at the sunset picture and you'll see a little fishing dock which is about 100 yards from the house- fish for dinner, guys!We'll put pics of the house once we get all of our moving garbage out of the way.

Dawn joins me at the hospital tomorrow and the kids return to school. Thanks for the cool messages, everyone. That helps us feel in touch!

10 comments:

Unknown said...

Phillip

Hope your nose is okay!!! Rugby sounds pretty cool! Mrs. Yates gave me all your art work from the year. I will keep it and store it in your house for you. Can't wait to talk to you soon!

Your friend

Davis

Unknown said...

Claire

Are you having fun in your new house? Do you like your school? I really miss you!!!! I wish you were here to play school with me. I also wish you were here for me to knock on your door. I will talk to you soon!!!

Love
Abby

Unknown said...

Hey guys!

The view from your house is beautiful, but we still think the view from our back porches is better. We miss you and pray for you daily. Can't wait to talk to you soon. We are having major Nichol's withdrawals.

All our love,
Leslie and Chad

kevin said...

Wow. Sounds great. Good luck on the dinner catch. (Phillip, lead with your head, not your nose.)

Kevin

Leah said...

Dawn,

I love reading your family's updates. Sounds like Phillip is jumping in (face first) into live as New Zealander! :o) Your hopeful new home looks nice. I hope there's a good grocery nearby in case the "fresh fish for dinner" plan isn't successful! Ha! We have share night tonight at BSF...we've sure missed you. have a great week, friend!

Leah McRae

Meredith said...

WOW! Rugby sounds ROUGH!!! And no shoes?? Thats insane! :)
I am so glad you all are adjusting to life in New Zealand! Praise God! We miss you!!!

Sister, we need each other! said...

Phillip... the natural athlete... wouldnt expect anything less! Hope you guys are having a blessed time!!

Summer

Christa said...

Hey Phillip!

Glad to hear you are meeting friends and enjoying rugby. Baseball is winding down for me and I may play in the city tournament. Looks like you are really close to the ocean. We miss you a lot.

Signed,
Nolan

macie said...

Hey Nichols,
I MISS you guys! Summer is just not the same here without you. And I miss old time game :( . But we can play plenty of it when you get back! I am so blessed to know such a great , kind family that is willing to stop everything they're doing to help people in need. I pray for your family all the time and i am proud to say i know you all. Keep up the good work and have fun! I hope to hear from you soon!
Love,
Macie

courtney said...

Hi Claire

It's Courtney. Hope you're having a good time in New Zealand. Wish I could be there. I really hope you are having fun. Be in touch with you soon.

Peace Out,

Courtney