Friday, August 29, 2008

Character Counts

Birds outside our window in a feeder made by the twins at church.
Claire, Maddie, and their teacher at Friday school assembly.
Our own Kung Fu Panda on the deck after karate.
He's been waiting for years to Kick Phillip's butt.
The twins receiving awards at the weekly Friday schoolwide meeting.
Butterfly face painted Anna at the birthday party with Brooke's mom, my friend Rene.

Dawn- Shortly after writing "Purpose" I became aware of a gross omission in my run down of reasons why this experience is purposeful. The kids each have their own realm of hopeful benefit and influence. I think Lynn and I recognised prior to coming that the kids would gain valuable lessons. From early I hoped they would realize the world is a vast place with diversity and many opportunities to grow beyond the familiarity of East Tennessee. I pray this experience would give them courage to reach beyond the fear of the unfamiliar and embrace whatever destiny their design and Designer would afford them. We also hoped as a family this would be an experience that would strengthen our 6 person inner circle of relationships. We are becoming ever more tight-knit as mother, father, son, daughter, sister, brother. I hope this is a good foundation for the teenage years we are too quickly approaching for my comfort. After arriving in a post-modern culture which is post-Christian they have each grown in their identity as followers of Christ and lovers of God. They are what the Bible calls the sweet aroma of Christ to their friends by showing not the judgement and condemning evangelism expected but the love and genuine friendship which I hope would characterize us here. They are learning to respect and love people who don't necessarily know or love God the way they do. They are learning to identify how their faith differs from other religious belief systems like polytheistic and ancestor worship of the Maori. I think it is bringing clarity in their faith and a part of what the Bible calls "the working out of their salvation". I think beyond that they are growing key inward character traits that I am so proud of them for achieving. Character development is a blessing that is not unique to the Southern Hemisphere and thus we needn't have come all the way to New Zealand for it, but character is something noticibly rich in this time here. RESILIENCE in change is an incredible tool for life. They are learning GRACE as they deal with kids that make poor behavioral choices. They are learning KINDNESS in appropriate ways to treat others. As we meet people they are learning APPRECIATION for the uniqueness of being cared for by Mom and Dad and having food, decent housing, clothes, etc. Anna is growing ever more RESPONSIBLE. Claire has recently shown great COMPASSION for her teacher who is caring for a dying father. Claire and her friend are pictured receiving a recognition and Thank you from her teacher for the card and basket they put together at their sleepover last week. Andrew has shown great COURAGE in starting karate and conquering his timidity there. Phillip is learning EXCELLENCE in what he does at school work, at Rugby (player of the game last week), and Cross Country (First for his age group). They have a saying here that the tallest poppy gets cut off and there is a general philosophy of not trying hard, not keeping score (for example no numerical or letter grades in school), not recognizing authority, not being a stand out, etc. I think we are all gaining an appreciation for parts of our American heritage and one is striving for excellence. You might understand the over generalized NZ lack of drive when you see how absolutely breathtaking the natural scenery is and when it beckens you to just be still and enjoy little things like the birds we give the sandwich edges to outside our window. There are many things to embrace here and so we press on to give every effort to absorb as much as possible and try to share a glimpse in these pictures and descriptions.
PS. I recently discovered that Charlotte Bronte's and Jane Austen's fathers were ministers of the gospel in England. Also, Oswald Chamber's great work My Utmost for His Highest was written after his death by his wife from her personal sermon notes. My point is I don't think we should forget what contribution to humanity may be given by someone in our sphere of influence whether it be our child, our husband, our co-worker, or a dear friend. I hope my kids grow up strong in character, generous in serving mankind for a better world, and love God with all their heart, mind, soul, and strength. Wow, that sounds corney but I do mean it.

4 comments:

erica said...

Dawn, I miss you! That post was absolutley amazing, you continue to inspire us all.

email me when you get a chance, I can't find your email address!

ericaspack@aol.com

Go gamecocks! They are playing NCstate as I type. 13:0 USC at start of 4th

Sister, we need each other! said...

Wow... is all I can say! Dawn, you are wonderful and your children wouldnt be what they are without you and Lynn. Still praying... love you all!

Summer Jo

Dallas said...

Really enjoyed the post. Warms my heart to hear about how the kids are flourishing.

Anonymous said...

We miss you, Dr Nichols. Dr Whitson told us about this site today so we looked at your pictures - no time for reading on the job. I still have your photo posted over our board with the entire family on the porch where it told about your upcoming trip. Love ya. Jeanne, Erin, and Kevin