Thursday, October 23, 2008

Time's Flying

AURORA!!!

This tree in our yard is pictured 6 weeks ago and then below is the green leafy appearance this week. Spring is full here and with it our allergies are giving Claire, Lynn, and me problems.


If you look close there was a rainbow over Mount Manaia this week. It has been extremely sunny and this was a quick short shower. It is so sunny that the kids are required to wear hats during recess at school.

Time is flying as we pass the 6 month mark. I can't believe it is the end of October. A big thanks to Aunt Brooke and Uncle Matt who sent this beautiful Aurora costume for Anna for dress up and Halloween. They celebrate it here in NZ but it's not a big deal. There are scattered dress up parties. The school is having a party but people don't really trick or treat door to door. As a family our policy has been dress up as a positive character (although Lynn says it doesn't have to be a hero of the Reformation like we heard one church suggest! ha ha) and get the candy while down playing any wickedness. I can respect other views on this one. In any case regardless of how you feel about Halloween it is a landmark for Fall at home and the nearness of Thanksgiving and Christmas. If you don't want a wool sweater, NZ wine or a greenstone necklace you better get your wish list to this Santa soon. I turn 40, ouch, the week before Christmas so you might want to get me a rocker to go with my walker. I am very struck with getting older and with the kids getting older. This is especially true of Phillip and Claire who are adolescents now according to the Prep For The Middle Years CD's I have been listening too (They are by Gary and Ann Marie Ezzo and I would highly recommend them to you guys with 8-12yo kids). I can really see their little child like ways fading into young adult conversations, humor, expressions, emotions, and interests. It is definitely a new era of parenting and a new friendship we have with them. With Phillip and Claire we are still mom and dad but the 4 of us seem to have this buddy time too in a way that we couldn't when they were potty training, etc. They are thinking through things more and trying to understand why in a good way. Anna and Andrew are just plain sweet and cuddly and cute and obedient. Let's just put it like this, Anna is Aurora and Andrew is Batman but Phillip and Claire just want to go hang out at the school party. It is a sweet time because they still want to hang out with us too.









1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Dawn, Lynn & Kids - I am up to speed. I too am a bad blogger and friend apparently. I cannot believe you guys have been gone so long and we have not spoken.

I am envious of all your experiences and "growth opportunities". I hope those are growing more few and far between. Those GO's can be killers.

We miss you guys. Triv told me he wanted to have a playdate w/ Andrew. I tried to explain where you are, but I think he thinks I'm just making up a roadblock to keep from organizing funtime for him.

I am proud of you guys and think of you often.

Love,
Sharon