Monday, November 17, 2008

The Philippians 2 Attitude

Paul wrote to the Christians in Phillipi:

"Do nothing out of selfish ambition or vain conceit, but in humility consider others better than yourselves. Each of you should look not only to your own interests, but also to the interests of others."

Many of you already live this way (mothers, wives and grandmothers). Thank you. Fellow men, you may find this passage a new challenge as I do. Be encouraged!
-Lynn

What is funny is while Lynn wrote this I was independantly doing my morning devotional and was drawn to the same chapter in Philipians. Our pastor had mentioned a verse from it Sunday but spent most of the message in John 1. Anyway, this morning I was struck by the second half of the Chapter entitled"Shining as stars". It talks about obeying as God works in you to will and to act according to his purpose. I feel good about being in New Zealand because I know God worked in us in our desire (will) to come and our (act) actually coming. There are sufferings, though, and v14 reminded me to do everything without complaining and arguing. I complain at least with my heart if not my mouth in a way that brought Lynn to tell me recently that I was chronically dissatisfied with a few things. Ouch! I am asking God to give me a Thanksgiving heart that doesn't complain but is content. The Chapter goes on to say by not complaining and by holding up the truth about God (His word) that we can be different in a "crooked and depraved generation" like shining stars in a universe. I thought about how big and dark the universe is and how small and surrounded and lonely I feel sometimes in a world that seems mixed up on a lot of things. Yet I hope there is a shine. A little light can go a long way in a dark place.
Dawn

3 comments:

Adam said...

Hey Nichols,

I have loved reading your blog! The experiences and memories you are building are going to last a lifetime. The pictures and captions are great.

It is challenging to try to put myself in your position when you talk about sharing "why we are here" at the pot luck and hearing crickets - or Philip being hassled at school because he is an American - or the emotions from seeing Old Glory waving amidst all the other flags. I realize how sheltered I am and how limited my views must be. Maybe Lynn can broaden my horizons with some alternate views on capitalism. I'd love a copy!!

We are up for a little out of country experience ourselves. We are headed to Guatemala with four other families next week to help put on a "summer" camp for 350 8-11 yr olds. It’s only a week, but we hope to join God in what He is doing in the lives of these kids!

We loved the post card and will continue to follow along on the blog! We miss you! Take care!

Adam (and Wendy, Colby Grace, Caleb and Camden)

Guppo said...

hi its me andrew from knoxville me and davis have missed you all i can't wait for you all to come back have a good time in new zeland =]

Hugh said...

Keep up the blog, we here in the frozen steppes of Ashe County, NC enjoy your posts immensely, and really like your honest and thoughtful comments on Godzone.
Hope you have a happy Thanksgiving down there, as we will here, Its a great "holiday" to celebrate, and something that the Kiwis should embrace too!
Cheers,
Hugh