Sunday, February 15, 2009

Messengers

Camping Trip sunset-Ahipara
Campsite and bonfire on the beach.

All boys trip and 4 Wheeling in the surf.


Sand dunes with campsite
Lynn, Andrew, Phillip and Champ...Miguel took the photo

Forgive us for our blogging hiatus. We've had to deal with American "stuff" including buying our tickets home. We'll be arriving in Knoxville at 9:45 pm Saturday, May 2! See you there.

Summer continues to be beautiful. So much of God's peace can be communicated through nature if we stop, look and listen.

Over the past week a few men have at least made me listen. Making some of the preliminary arrangements for returning home have been stressful and anxiety provoking. Watching the news, talking to people back home, and seeing bank accounts get depleted only worsens the sorry state. I took some of this with me into the wilderness last weekend as the boys and I went camping with Miguel (our pastor) and his son, Champ. On the drive up to 90-mile beach I told Miguel about some of my "problems" in America. He thought about them a moment- and then told me that they were a rich man's problems, implying they were not much to really worry about. It's not like any of my issues would lead to persecution, starvation, poverty or death. All real possibilities in a poor man's country. With that dismissal I agreed with him and was able to move on and enjoy my wild west coast camping adventure with my boys and the Abascal boys. The next man sent my way was one of my patients. He is an 85 year old Dutchman who came to New Zealand in the 1940's. I've known him for about 6 months and always find it a pleasure to see him. Despite pretty ragged lungs he's always smiling and making the most of things. He was genuinely saddened to find out I was returning home in May which made me feel appreciated. When he was about 20 years old the Nazis rolled into Holland and rounded up all the young men. Because he wouldn't fight for them they put him in a concentration camp. He said he nearly starved to death but was able to escape and eventually find a boat for New Zealand to get as far from Hitler as he could. Knowing this about him I asked what he thought of the current "crisis". He only laughed and said "You all don't know trouble!" Relatively speaking, he's definitely right about me. The third man I met with this week is my new medical partner from South Africa, John Mpe. He is a respiratory physician like myself. We were talking as we drove back from an out of town clinic and I asked him if South Africa was being affected by the financial issues of today. He, too, laughed and told me that it is so strange for him to listen to the American or New Zealand news and hear people worrying about unemployment going from 4 to 6% or so because unemployment in his country is 40%! He pointed to the road we were driving on and said, "In my country, there would be old and young men lining this road doing nothing because they have no jobs."

After hearing from these three messengers (and God's usual messenger to me- my wife) my heart had peace and hope not that my "troubles" would go away, but that in the grand scheme of things they were minor and - even if they became major- God and my friends and family would still be there for me no matter what the outcome. I am sure everyone reading this has food, shelter and someone nearby who loves them. If you do, give thanks to God. If you don't, leave a comment and we'll help you to the best of our ability!

5 comments:

cheryl said...

We have really missed hearing from you guys. We called Bobbie this week to check on them and you. We can't wait to have you back in Knoxville. We have missed each of you so much!

It does seem easy for thoughts about this troubled economy to creep into our minds each day. I think at that time we need to stop and pray to God for His guidance and protection!

Good luck on finishing your work there. Enjoy the last couple of months in NZ. These will be memories you will have for a lifetime. See you soon!!!

Steve, Cheryl & Gracie

Sister, we need each other! said...

Thank you for your faithfulness to the Lord in writing this post... It was something I needed to hear! God bless and good luck in your remaining time in NZ!

courtney said...

hey guys. whats up? im so excited to see you again. i hope we can get together when you get home.
peace,
courtney

Anonymous said...

I loved hearing about your "messengers" and proud of you to sit and listen to their struggles. I can't tell you how many times I found my wallet empty, I never became sad or wishing I'd win the lottery, I'd be grateful that I had my health and my children and my love for God to pull me through these times, there is ALWAYS someone worse off than we are. As you finish up your final months there try not to worry about the problems in American and really listen to the problems of the people you are caring for, they need your love, support and prayers, they will miss you as much as we do, I will continue to pray for your family and for the new doctor who will be replacing you, I hope he has as much love and care in his heart as you do. Love you! Debra

erica said...

Thank you for sharing that. We so often lose perspective, I love how God sends his messengers to us exactly when we need them. Enjoy these last months in NZ, everything here will fall into place when you get here. Don't forget who's in control! No worries! :) *(Matthew 6:34)*
Erica