Saturday, March 28, 2009

March Madness


I think I am at least 2 weeks behind on the blog. With work, kids, and the approaching departure the time to blog seems to be sparse. In addition, my Dad has been in the hospital this week in the US but should go home tomorrow. I thought he would like these pictures of the recent sunset from the mountain walk behind our house. The sky has been so clear and beautiful lately with brilliant color at sunset and millions of stars on moonless nights. I wish I could get a picture of the Southern cross. The fish Andrew is pointing at is snapper which feeds at night. We look forward to a promised fishing trip with Andrew, Phillip, and my Dad when we get back. Lynn has been out once with some Phillipino people here I know through work. They fish all night but Lynn called it quits about 2 AM. The snapper is really good eating fish. Our neighbor Stuart gave us some he caught too. After a year on the waiting list his wife Sue had her brain surgery earlier this month. They are back from Auckland and she has been without seizures. It is a big change from the daily seizures she has been having. Phil and Rheba may remember them from the airport upon arrival to NZ. They were headed out for 2 different kids' weddings in England and Thailand.


A few weeks ago the kids went to a Pirate party. Andrew won for best costume because he took the great pirate ship kite my sister sent him for his Birthday last June. The kids have had a variety of friend's birthday parties to attend including a skateboarding for Riley Jack (Anna and Andrew's freind) while I as in Australia and the lazer tag party below for Naomi Abascal's 12 birthday.

Church has been a blessing due to the relationships we have there. It is more like a small group but it allows us all to really know each other's faith in a mutually encouraging way. The kids have been blessed in this way too.



Notice the Upward Basketball flyer. The church is starting an Upward League here as an outreach. Miguel brought all the materials back from California when they visited family last October.

I have two really precious friends and neighbors in Sharmaine and Rene. Rene is Anna's friend Brooke's Mom and has started watching the kids after school for me on the days I work. The above photo is Rene's son Riley who reminds me of my nephew Rhett and is almost the exact same age. He has speech problems and says "Dawn" so cute. Sharmaine's son Leo below is one of Andrew's best friends. He broke his arm sand surfing a few weeks ago and required surgery. They live up a little path behind our house and Andrew spends a lot of time up there. Sharmaine comes and visits over a cup of tea. I treasure our talks about what God has done in our lives. She has a beautiful story of God's redemption and on going emotional healing.


Through common friends we met this wonderful family who have a ministry here and in the Phillipines to help families do devotions together. Their website is www.walkingwithgod.com where they have daily verses to print out and guidelines on how to get started. This is an area we have wanted to grow in for a long time. Colin Pyle (the dad) also loaned me Larry Crabb's book The Pressure's Off which has been really speaking to me about centering on Christ in the midst of things not working out in my life. I think all of us have times when we feel things just aren't working out to our hopes (illness, economy, relationships,etc) despite us doing the right things. If you are in a season of disappointment or struggles in some areas then I would recommend this book. In any event the below photos are from their local fellowship group at their house. Colin is able to independantly fund this ministry and is an amazing example of how a follower of Christ with large financial means can live humbly and give to others greatly out of love for God.

The kids love to go to the Pyle's because they have tire swings, a beach, a man made water slide, and a corn maze on the property.


Having a lazy swing at the Pyle's place is like Mayberry must have been. Peaceful! Despite the March Madness I think we have been more at peace.

No comments: