Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Australian images

A wild beach close to Noosa.
Australia Zoo.
Close encounter.
Sunrise over the Coral Sea from our room. aaaahhh.
Cool ozzie playground.

(Lynn)
What a nice break we had in Australia. I didn't realize how stressed and tired I'd been for the last several months. On about day 3 I cracked a joke and Dawn announced, "Daddy's back." In addition to a great family time and seeing a beautiful place- the time away helped me appreciate New Zealand more and think about the blessings in this country and not just see it for its deficiencies and challenges. I missed the lush green hills and ferns. I missed the laid back attitude of the Northland Kiwis. I was truly at ease and felt at home when we pulled back into our drive Sunday night. I'm sure I was much more pleasant to be around at work Monday morning.

Australia is "gorgeous" to quote Steve Irwin. They have endless beaches with pretty, nearby volcanic mountains. We went to an area similar to Orlando, Fl. called Gold Coast as well as a less developed area called Sunshine Coast. The kids loved the theme and water parks. Dawn and I loved the tennis courts, the sun, the beach and the hot tub. The strange thing about being there, though, is that it feels just like the US. That was very comforting and relaxing- but also a little odd to be so far away and feel like you're in California or Florida. It made me realize that New Zealand is unique and that I should appreciate the opportunity to live here for a season.

Speaking of opportunities- when are you going to take the opportunity to visit us in New Zealand? We promise comfortable accomodations, great fellowship and worship, good food and personalized tours to anyone who can make the flight. Remember, we're only a day away give or take a few hours. When's the next time you'll have friends or family in the South Pacific? My offer is really a selfish one because I'd give anything to see any of you here and just share a cup of coffee on the porch or something as simple as my drive to town past the sheep and the harbor.

For all my Christian and/or political friends out there I found a book in Australia that I think makes for very good reading during a presidential election year. The book is God,Actually by Roy Williams. Roy is a middle aged lawyer in Sydney who recently became a follower of Christ after many years as a near atheist. What I find so interesting is that he remains primarily a liberal when it comes to politics but goes into great detail about why Christianity does not fit neatly into any political party. He does a great job articulating the uncomfortable aspects of both the left and right as regards Christian faith. I think reading this book will help you to be more comfortable voting as your Spirit-led conscience leads you no matter which button you push in the voting booth. I am encouraged by his faith in democracy. He writes, "Democratic politics is never truly a contest between 'good and evil', but between two sets of people- good and bad and everything in between- who hold different opinions as to how best to go about realising the virtues (love, joy, peace, kindness, etc. from Galatians 5:22) in socio-political terms."

3 comments:

Leah said...

Dawn,
What an incredible trip! Ok, that's cool that you all can say you climbed in the Irwin's truck...in Australia. I mean really, how many of us can say that...Crikey! :o) Hope you all are doing well. You are missed. I'll save you a spot in my BSF group for your return. :o)

Leah McRae

Sister, we need each other! said...

I am so happy to hear that you got a vacation so to speak... I think some of us may forget that you are not in New Zealand for a vacation, but rather to help increase the Kingdom of God! ... and open of the eyes and hearts of your fellow Kiwi's ... still praying everyday for all of you! ... In refrence to Mr. Williams book - it absolutely amazes me that someone can call themselves a christian and pull the lever for a democrat... thats just my opinion - and what some may say as narrowminded ;)(the thought of having "that man" as our next president scare me to death!) ... Love you all! Wouldn't it be great if I could talk Chris in making a trip to New Zealand!!

Roy Williams said...

Hello, Lynn.
I'm Roy Williams (posting from Sydney), the author of God, Actually. Only yesterday, a friend here saw your post and forwarded it to me. I'm really touched by - and grateful for - your kind comments about my book, and, especially, about Chapter 8 (Christianity and politics) - my own personal favourite chapter. You are the first person who's publicly commented on the book to focus on the political issues. And you got my main point exactly!
If you or your family are ever in Sydney, please feel free to call me (do you have a private email address I could send my contact details to?) I'd enjoy chatting with you over a coffee or a sandwich.
Btw, your work in NZ looks very admirable indeed. Congratulations. And someone is an excellent photographer.
To Summer Jo, if you see this - I used to think the same way as you, about any conscientious Christian who would vote for a right-wing politician or party. But while George W and Cheney still horrify me much of the time, for Christian reasons which I touch upon in my book, I can understand why many Americans voted for them (at least in 2000!). No doubt most Republicans vote in good conscience - as do most Democrats. It just depends on your personal priorities, not your innate virtue or otherwise as a human being. (There are heroes, rogues and fools on both sides.)
And don't worry, Obama will be fine if he's elected. The vast majority of Australians will certainly be delighted if he prevails in November. I reckon that John McCain would probably not be too bad either - he seems a good and brave man.
God bless.