Saturday, June 28, 2008

International Night





Our school community had an international potluck last night wherein every family was to bring a dish from their home country. I included a photo of the world map with the various thumbtacks representing family origins in our school including our little red thumbtack from Tennessee. Everyone brought dishes from their home country. I took beans, ham-hock, and cornbread although my cornbread turned out more like polenta. Interestingly enough the only person who knew the difference was the PTO president/event coordinator who was born and raised in Beaufort, South Carolina but made her way to our school via 12 years living on a refurbished 100 year old boat in Amsterdam. It's a long story but per usual for folks here it is a fascinating life story. I included a picture of a dad who looks like MY dad and is indeed a fellow mariner. He is actually American but has sailed the world after retiring as a Navy seal in the 70's. His son Oden was in Phillip's class and is seen sitting between him and Lynn. You may have noticed I said "was" in Phillip's class. Phillip came home last Monday saying he didn't want to try to work out the social scene at school anymore and was ready to look into Parua Bay school about 5 miles up the road where his Rugby mates go to school. It has worked out for him to transfer there and he seems MUCH happier. We have since learned there maybe some anti-American sentiments from a few key kids/staff in his class. More than one person has told us that the war in Iraq has eroded America's image in the world. For whatever reason, Phillip was just never really accepted into the group. So far it is much better at the new school. Anyway, back to the international pot luck. The kids played a game of eat the chocolate fish from the string but I am not sure what country that was from. The night included a family go around and share time where people explained where they were from and how they ended up at Whangarei Heads School. My kids volunteered us to go second (after the Beaufort/Amsterdam gal and her family from Holland)! Then Phillip volunteered ME putting me on the spot (Lynn was outside having a pow-pow with one of the other dads) to tell all 50 people that we were Christians and felt called to come to NZ. I muddled through some how and people did talk to me afterwards all though the room was silent as I tried to explain in 30 seconds what Christ means to our family. I felt horribly uncomfortable but I hope you will pray with me that we would be "the aroma" of Christ's love in this community. I think many people wouldn't know how to take what I said. When I told Lynn afterwards we talked about how I am a teacher (love to study the scripture and apply it to our individual lives) not an evangelist. We accept people far more than they typically think we do. Lynn has a servant's heart (medically speaking and in a church,etc) and I hope will share soon some of the amazing moments he has had with patients. Billy Graham I am not but please pray for us as we just try to share our lives in love. These folks are so interesting to us as many have these all over the world courageous experiences, love of great outdoors/wide open spaces, and current job of raising a family in semi-rural New Zealand. As they say, "It's cool and awesome!"

5 comments:

Unknown said...

What fun international night must have been. Nolan said he wanted to try the fishing game with the chocolate fish!

Phillip, Nolan said he is glad that you are going to a new school with your friends that you play rugby with. So, when it rains what happens with Rugby? or is the season over?

Claire, Nolan told me that he thinks that wave pool is awesome! We were at splash country earlier this week, and the wave pool there does not compete. We love that you are learning to surf, think we can take a trip so you can give us lessons when you get back? You should be certified by then!

Anna, you just keep getting prettier and prettier every time I see your pictures! You are such a sweetie! How did you enjoy the indoor pool? It looks like you have made lots of friends!

Andrew, We hope you are feeling better and that the soup helped! I cannot believe how big you looked in the picture! Have you grown 3 inches since you left?

Dawn, your dedication is amazing. 4 Months with nothing but rain??? UGH! Good thing they have indoor pools. And I believe Dawn that you touched someone's life when you told your story. God is working through you and the kids. He knew you needed that push and gave it to you through the kids. I know it must have felt awkward though! Tell us more about your job - on the elementary level, you know I am not technical!

Lynn, I cannot wait to hear more about the lives you are touching. I have enjoyed telling my friends about the pastor you met when you arrived, and love hearing that you have become friends.

Love from Tennessee to all!
Christa and family.

Hugh said...

Remember the movie "The Piano", about a young Scottish piano teacher who emigrated to New Zealand...? When it was first released, just about everyone asked me if it was that muddy in NZ? Well, if you get a chance, take a trip to Kare Kare beach, west of Auckland, where the movie was filmed. And no, its not that muddy either....most of the time!

Keep up the blog, I am sure you will have more people checking it out and following along, as time goes on. You know, just because the Kiwis arent that inspired spiritually, the impact of what you are doing is not lost on others elsewhere....just a thought!

There are a bunch of interesting folks that choose NZ and hopefully you will meet as many as possible in your time there, that will open your eyes to future adventures you can have with your family too! (Like sailing without cussing for example!)

Sister, we need each other! said...

Love the updates! Isn't it wonderful how the Lord used Phillip to "put you on the spot"... but you didn't gloss over why you were there - you let it known and now your lives will be watched even more closely... we are able to evangelize through our actions/the way we live our lives … not just by words. I will be praying that the Lord give you the strength and courage to do as he would have you to do. Be bold… you never know when you will be planting a seed… and you never know where a seed has already been planted and all it needs is a little water – water of life!

So Phillip’s new school… is it a private school? Isn’t the world few of America so sad… At least you don’t have to hear this Obama non-sense everyday on the news ;).

Love you all!!

Debra said...

International night looked like a lot of fun! I liked the chocolate fishing game, I use to play a game like that with my kids but we hung suckers. Did the Navy Seal tell you about some of his missions? Take care and keep up the posts!

leslie Lee said...

Nichols- Hi everyone! So, I just became updated on your life! Just want to let you know that I am praying for you all! You all are so strong and God is doing such great things through all of you! He's always there!

Dawn- I feel the same way when I tell my story to people (like it didn't make any sense to anyone but myself- that's how I feel). But, Christ put you there and planned that whole scenario for a reason. But I will pray for you specifically for your confidence in yourself when sharing your family's story and journey with others there! God is using you all so much!

Phillip- you seem like you have turned into a rugby star! that's so awesome!

Anna, Andrew and Claire- Happy Birthday! You all are growing so much! (I hope you remember me!?!)

Lynn- I am praying for you and your work. It is so cool the way that you get to share your faith with your patients! I can't wait to read more stories!

I can't believe how much everyone has grown- i can't get over it! Don't worry- I am still small and look 15! (j/k). Speaking of looking 15, I am going to be working a a guidance counselor for Metro Nashville in the fall- hopefully, they won't think I am a high schooler?!I am really excited! Pray for me!

Have fun with your fishing,surfing, rugby, hiking, sharing, etc! I will continue to pray for you! - Phil 4:13!

- Leslie "Ms. Leslie"