Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Raindrops Keep Falling On My Head

Anna and Andrew enjoying our indoor pool day last Sunday afternoon.


Claire was trying to surf in the wave pool.


Buff and blue (hands up), Phillip, and Anna in the splash area. The woman in the black one piece is NOT me.
Dr.Fernando, Lynn's Sri Lankan colleague, had a wonderful meal and the cutest puppies.

(Lynn)

I've taken long enough between entries now to have some observations. First of all, it rains here for four solid months- and we came at the beginning of those four months. Reportedly, the other eight months are sun-filled and delightful. I'm waiting. Secondly, Kiwi culture is coarse and a little difficult to get accustomed to. I'd heard they didn't really care much about God but didn't realize their eight-year-olds cuss like sailors and that drinking heavily, smoking and gambling are epidemic. I realize we are in the "Mississippi" of New Zealand-Northland- with higher unemployment, etc. so I may be getting an unbalanced view. But the people I've met from all over the country seem to have busted marriages and kind of a hopeless outlook regarding the future- unless, of course, they have plans to move to "Oz". Now, I haven't been to Australia yet, but aside from making more money and being warmer is it really the land of milk and honey the young Kiwis make it out to be?



Regarding politics- my Democrat friends and relatives will be interested to know that I am now a card-carrying union member. Don't tell the Knox County Republican Party chairperson! About 90% of doctors belong to the union which serves to represent their interests when dealing with the government in this socialized health care system. I will draw the line if asked to set up a picket line. I feel a little like Sylvester Stallone in FIST. Our crunchy, liberal friends will also be pleased to hear that Dawn is the proud new owner of a 1995 Subaru wagon- she's already talking about moving to Asheville. I am behind the wheel of a conservative 1996 Honda Odyssey with groovey curtains over some of the back windows. I have discovered that when cars are no longer wanted in a country they are shipped to New Zealand and sold at bargain prices. Both of our cars served happy Japanese families in the 90's and now carry us through the mud and rain of NZ in the new millenium. They actually market cars by promising that you will be the first New Zealand owner of this great 1994..........etc. I just love the prices. I would bring the cars home if the steering wheels weren't on the wrong side.



Of course, there are many bright spots- it's just been a few tough weeks and perpetually gloomy weather doesn't help. We have been shown great hospitality by several families and I have met some very sweet and funny patients. I also do not forget that we have a common enemy who would be glad to see us pack it in and head home. "We do not battle flesh and blood..."



All of your comments serve to encourage and strengthen. Keep it up.



P.S. Go Cubs!

8 comments:

Sister, we need each other! said...

A Union!! ... Shew wee... as long as you promise to throw that card out before you cross back over the Atlantic we will forgive you ;).. Glad to hear you are all doing well... love the updates! My little Colton will be 3 weeks old tomorrow!! We cannot believe it... I am working very hard on the whole baby wise/preperation for parenting that you two introduced me too... hopefully we will be on a schedule before you know it! Thinking about all 6 of you alot... remembering you daily in my prayers! Lots of Love!

Summer Jo

Hugh said...

Hey Y'all,
Didnt know the unions were coming back again, they were almost gone I heard a while back. When I was growing up, there seemed to be strikes all the time, and they got paid way too much and most were b$%^&* lazy buggers...oops, nearly slipped into the slanguage again!
Yup, it rains a ton there, but you might luck out and have a dry spell for a day or two. I hat to say this, but it rains a lot most of the time compared to life up here, and you have brought memories back of when I returned to NZ the first time after 2.5 years away and I had forgotten how much it rained, rained, and rained!
the general sense of doom and gloom, affected us all round the north island too.
But,...on the bright side, a little old black lady in a laundomat in Bellhaven, NC (while lynn was on the boat homeschooling, and I was in there waiting on the dryer)....said to me that we were creating family memories that will last a lifetime, and that is priceless, so good luck working on your family album, so to speak!
That's it for now, hang in there and make the most of whatever situation you are in!

child of grace said...

I love to read your updates, very inspiring, the pics look awesome- i'm sure it's more difficult than it looks. Things are going well at the sleep center, A LOT of changes, but we're adjusting, we sure do miss you though.
We'll keep you in our prayers.
Jenni O. and the rest of the sleep staff

Debra said...

SO which one of the puppies do you get to bring home! They are so cute you must get those babies a new puppy! The indoor water park looks like a lot fun, I wouldn't do well in NZ since I HATE the rain, I'd rather have snow falling and icy roads! Needless to say, we have sunny warm blue skies out here, and cool evenings. How is work going, you talk about the doctors and people that you meet, I want to hear more about the patients, can you get pictures of the hospital?? How many people show up for Sunday services, have you started a bible study for those interested in getting to know the Lord?? Keep us posted and we'll keep you in our prayers! First keep the peace within yourself, then you can also bring peace to others. Love ya...Debra

Debra said...

P.S. I don't like what you said about sailors, they are not your typical sailors that cuss and booze it up all the time, Dr. Nichols! What am I going to do with you! Yes, Go Cubs, but I don;t even know how they are doing this year!

Doug said...

Lynn, Dawn, Phillip, Claire, Andrew, Anna Just a note to tell you all Hi and we miss you. At this moment we are in the waiting room waiting for Baby Hayden to be born. This is the first time I have had time to study your blog. Very interesting, I am very proud of you all. I think when the weather changes you will feel better. I will write you some more. Love Uncle Doug

erica said...

I have enjoyed your blog so much! I love the breathtaking views and learning about all of your adventures. The experiences and the memories will be priceless!
OK, the rain I can understand would get old, but remember that there is a rainbow to look forward to. And regarding the "folks" and culture you're surrounded by, looks like God knows exactly where He needs you. You have this opportunity to let your light shine and I know you all will. And hey, "when in Rome...", except for when it comes to 8 year olds cursing! I mean about "the card"! and Dawn, I bet you look cute in your Suburu! :)
Lynn, I see your picture everywhere in the newspaper and mailers~looks good!
We miss you all and although I don't comment daily, please know that we are keeping up with you and are praying for you. Thanks for being such an inspiration to us!
Keep the pics coming! I want to see the groovy curtains!
Love,
Erica

Annie Sellers said...

Hi Nichols Family! I thought I would post this comment as a helpful item for you and any of your friends/family that may want to try this sometime.
As you know that I'm in real estate, I have tried to seperate myself from all others, by doing something different than most. Anyway, I have become a RECS member. RECS= Real Estate Cyberspace Society member. I have a specialized issue that comes out every month with different "cyber Tips" that you can use / try, etc. I look at them every month to see what "USEFUL" tips there are. This months issue (http://www.REcyber.com/cybertips/r10580) holds a tip for "Free long distance, international calling" Check out this link: http://www.talkster.com/
It may work for you, and if it does can save you some $$. I just looked and this is what it states "Make FREE calls to mobile phones with your Skype Unlimited "

I know you and your family/friends are setup with Skype, so hopefully you all can now talk for free :)

Good luck to you all! God Bless, and keep up the good work of God.
Bless each and everyone of your members.

With God's love,
Annie