Sunday, June 29, 2008

Details of the Medical Mission

(Lynn)
My apologies to all sailors who do not cuss! We had a sunny day finally and took a long family hike after an hour of "home church" with our iPod player and a bible reading. The church we were planning on visiting started earlier than I thought so we missed it- but we had a blessed time just the six of us and the Holy Spirit. Remember, wherever two or more are gathered in His name, God promises to be there! Phillip and I rode down to Auckland and back yesterday (Saturday) with Pastor Miguel and his 9 year old son, Champ, to a men's prayer breakfast. It was a great time of fellowship with about 50 guys. Isaiah 46 was the topic- (read the chapter straight through and see what it says to you. ) After a great Sunday with the family I turned around and flew back to Auckland this evening in order to be at an 8am meeting at the large public hospital. Hence, the time and energy to make an extended blog entry because I am sitting by myself in a hotel in Auckland.

I would like to tell you more about the medical mission as it's shaping up and about my job. The most important thing (to me, at least) I'm doing at the moment is working, along with nurse Linda O'Grady, to establish an efficient and effective lung cancer service. I am the only full-time pulmonologist working for the Northland region presently. In Northland we have mostly visiting oncologists from Auckland, no thoracic surgeon, and no radiation oncology. One must go to Auckland for all these services. That's easy to say, but most of the patients have a very difficult time getting to Auckland. It looks close to Whangarei and Northland on a map but the roads are two-lane, hilly, and windy most of the way making travel slow. And lest anyone forget- they're usually wet with a fresh rain. That's just from Whangarei. Many of the Maori live in the Far North- 3-5 hours drive from Whangarei. And they have the highest smoking and lung cancer rates of all! So here's my goal/directive from the Australian-New Zealand cancer guidelines : have every new lung cancer patient begin their treatment within one month of being notified of the patient's abnormal chest x-ray.

Sounds deceptively easy. The four weeks pass quickly. In a socialized health care system you usually have to wait months for a CT scan because there aren't many scanners. (The radiologists have said they'll try to do my patients within 2 weeks.) Then you have to get O.R. time for the bronchoscopy, wait a week for a pathology report, and then make a formal presentation of the patient to the tumor board in Auckland for the patient to get accepted for therapy. Which brings me to my meeting in the morning. I am presenting 4 new lung cancer patients to the the conference in the morning and then touring the facilities here as well as a lung cancer clinic. These are only 4 of at least 15-20 cases of lung cancer I've seen over the past month. It is truly a crisis in Northland. Many of the other lung cancer patients I have simply given pain medicine and hospice support because they were too ill or unwilling to consider chemotherapyor radiation. Something I teach the nurses and training doctors about lung cancer is that we comfort always and cure occasionally. I have identified one surgically curable lung cancer thus far.

I am not discouraged, though. We will find the best care this system can generate and comfort alot of patients and family along the way. I had a very special day last week in the Far North (I fly about twice a month up to Kaitaia for clinic days). A very sweet and relatively young Maori patient had brought about 25 extended family members to meet with me and discuss her cancer. She had told me previously that she believed in the One True God (as opposed to the polytheism of her ancestors). We discussed the bad news, challenges to even getting to therapy-much less tolerating it- and what to expect in the next year. I asked her if she wanted prayer to which she responded emphatically, "Yes". We then welcomed God into that room with crying adult children and beautiful young mokopuna (grandchildren) surrounding this woman. May God, the great physician, bless her and help me to do my best to serve her and her family- not on my own strength and understanding- but with God's heart and power.
-Amen

4 comments:

Melony said...

Hey Lynn & Dawn,

Erica Pakc gave me your blog site because I am a blog junkie and I LOVE reading about your daily adventures in a new land and seeing all of the beaustiful pictures!! After you posted that you wanted to know who was out there reading your blog, I realized I could no longer spy without making my presence known :-). Hope God makes wonderful things happen for you guys this week!!

Melony Wallace

Sister, we need each other! said...

Wow Lynn you sound busy! It sounds like you have some really ambitious goals… Chris and I will be praying that the Lord gives you the tools to succeed! As soon as I saw the words “socialized healthcare” I totally wanted to get on a political rant b/ I guess I will save that for a more appropriate time ;) Keep up the good work!

Annie Sellers said...

Hello Nichols Family!
I finally found my information about your blog. I will keep it bookmarked from here on :)

You guys are troopers! It has been a blessing to read your blog of your adventure so far. It appears that the children are all fitting in with others (with the exception of Phillips First school). You all look so refreshed and revived in the photos. I know it has taken it's tole on you, but you have survived.

I will continue to pray for you all and for Lynn's patients. I couldn't believe what I read about the lung disease there. Maybe Lynn will be able to get more equipment into the country, and possibly more physicians would want to make an effort of serving in the area as well!
We miss your smiling faces at Mountain Ridge. I know God has great things planned for you. As pastor Jaime stated in a sermon "we serve a naturally super-natural God"!
I'll keep up with reading, and will post more later :) May God bless you and the children. Keep focused on the purpose and the creator, and HE will guide you.

Much love, and blessings to you all.

Annie Sellers

Debra said...

Thank you for the update on your medical mission. I know it must be heart breaking to see these people so sick, you have such a kind and loving heart and they can see that in your eyes. I think just you being there and trying to help will make a big difference, keep praying with them and show then that you truly care, to me thats the most important part, you will live on in their hearts for a long time.

The keys to patience are acceptance and faith. Accept things as they are, and look realistically at the world around you. Have faith in yourself and in the direction you have chosen.

Keep the Faith going! Love ya..D